Destroyers Summer 2021 REGISTRATION
Hello! Our REGISTRATION link for Summer 2021 is now LIVE! We have updated the site (some is still in progress), but you can register your child(ren) for Swim Team and Junior Destroyers through our site on Team Unify. We have included information to assist you with registration below. Should you have any issues, please email us!
We also have our NEW TEAM SUIT information on the website! It is a 2-year suit so we expect to use it for Summer 2021 and Summer 2022! Due to COVID, we will not have a try on session at the clubhouse, but you can go to SuitUp and try suits on there before ordering (see link on website for more details). You want to order the suit before June 1st for best availability.
Junior Destroyers: We are happy to announce that we will be offering TWO sessions this summer- a June (6/15-7/1) and a July (7/6-7/22). Practices will remain on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Each session is $75; you may register for both sessions for $150. Due to social distancing guidelines, we will have to limit participation to the first 15 registrations. We will keep a waitlist beyond the first 15 participants as we know participation and social distancing guidelines may change as we near the summer.
Registration Payment: The fee structure for this summer has changed as we anticipate a significant revenue loss with the reduced concession stand during meets. The cost for BSST Summer 2021 is $175. We are offering a price reduction for siblings with 2nd swimmer at $150 and 3rd (plus) swimmer at $125. We will be collecting checks for registration fees on Sunday, May 2nd from 2-4pm at the Swim Clubhouse. In addition to collecting registration fees, we will also have a COVID release form for you to sign from NVSL.
In addition to registration fees, we will collect a separate $250 check per family to fulfill the Volunteer Fee. As a small team, we really need volunteer participation from 100% of the families to make our meets run smoothly. If you fulfill the volunteer requirement, your check will be returned to you at the end of the swim season. Due to COVID guidelines, we are still determining the Summer 2021 volunteer requirements, but are expecting they will be similar to previous swim seasons. For more information on Volunteering (including details about volunteer positions), please check out our Team Unify website.
Here’s to the start of a great summer and swim season!
Directions to register swimmer(s):
- Scroll down to “Team Registration”
- Click on “Continue or Check Status”
- If you are a New Member, you will need to create a log-in and password. Returning members (even if you are registering a new child) can use your log-on and password from Summer 2019. There is also a “forgot password” button if it’s been awhile ;).
- Check all swimmers to register. You may need to update their information from 2019. You can also add a new swimmer if a new child is joining the team. **At the very bottom of each child’s registration, you will need to choose which group you want that child assigned to- Burke Station Swim Team OR Junior Destroyers.
- Once all information is added and all participants are selected with the green checkmark, review the Medical Release and Liability Waiver.
- Click continue.
- It will then have a summary page with your information and registration fees. Please bring a check for the identified amount to the Swim Clubhouse on May 2nd between 2 and 4pm.
- Click Proceed to checkout.
- Review information and then Submit Registration.
Junior Destroyers Program 2021
Destroyers FAQ 2021
The Burke Station Destroyers is a swim team in the Northern Virginia Swim League (NVSL) Division 16. We are a comparatively small team but see this as a benefit to our kids as they enjoy more opportunities to swim in meets and receive more attention from the coaches. Team members range in age from around five to 18 years old. The Destroyers’ focus as a team is on summer fun, community, sportsmanship, stroke/time improvement and fostering a love of swimming. In addition to swim practices and meets, the team holds several optional events throughout the season, e.g., movies (in theaters and at the pool), bowling, laser tag, St. James’ Super, Awesome, Amazing, bingo on the pool deck, ice cream socials, fireworks, team dinners and a discounted Kings Dominion trip. The highlight of every season is the End of Season Party which takes place after Divisionals. Awards plaques, trophies and medals are given out, parents and kids enjoy a potluck dinner, BSST’s world-famous SwimShow is shown highlighting all the fun our swimmers had over the season followed by dancing and games.
Unlike some communities in the region, swimmers do not need to reside in Burke Station Square to be eligible to join The Destroyers. The Burke Station Swim Club (BSSC) is considered an “open pool” and anyone can join. Per NVSL regulations, swimmers must be a member of the BSSC to participate on the team.
There is no minimum age requirement to join The Destroyers—only that the participant is able to swim 25 meters, unassisted. It does not need to be fast or pretty! The upper age limit is 18 years, as of June 1st.
A typical swim season costs between $150-$175/swimmer (sibling discounts offered). We are examining our funding options this season as COVID restrictions on concessions will hinder our ability to cover our costs. There is also an team suit (optional, approx. $50), an silicon team cap (optional, approx. $8) and goggles which are strongly recommended (approx.. $10-$30).
Swim season begins the day after Memorial Day and ends in late July. Practices start after school until school lets out then switch to mornings.
Practice times Monday-Friday:
- 8-and-Under — 8:00-8:45am
- 9-12 years – 8:46-9:45am
- 13-18 years – 9:46-10:45am
There are two main types of swim meets—competitive, dual A-Meets and developmental, dual B-Meets.
- A-Meets take place on Saturday mornings and swimmers are seeded for the events based on the fastest times (max of two individual events and up to two relay events). A-Meets are officially sanctioned by NVSL and count towards team standings and swimmer points (First Place – 5 points, Second Place – 3 points, Third Place – 1 point). Events include: freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly, relays and mixed-age relays.
- B-Meets take place on Monday evenings and provide all swimmers the opportunity to swim competitively with other NVSL teams. Swimmers work with coaches to determine which events they are ready to swim in. B-Meets are unsanctioned and the results do not appear on the NVSL website. Events include: freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly and Individual Medley (IM).
Other meets during the season include: Relay Carnival, All Star Relay Carnival, IM Carnival, Lollipop Meet (Junior Destroyers & 8-and-Unders, only), Divisionals and All-Stars.
Swim teams are run by parent and family volunteers. Typically, the only paid participants are the coaches. It takes around 40-45 volunteers to run a “normal” season swim meet. With the recent COVID-19 restrictions, teams have run meets on “skeleton crews” of about 30-33 volunteers. Family participation is key to running these events. Some of the many positions include: timers, clerk of course, table worker, data coordinator, ribbons/awards, concessions worker, kitchen worker, marshal, announcer, volunteer coordinator, shopper, recognitions manager, relay/take-of judges and runner. There are official positions that require NVSL virtual training—Chief Timer, Starter, Referee, Stroke & Turn Judges. An additional benefit of volunteering is that you can be on deck to watch your swimmer up close and personal. Volunteer Fee checks are collected at the beginning of swim season from each family. The families who meet the minimum volunteer requirement receive their uncashed checks back at the end of the season. We would much rather have volunteers than the money!
For further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org